Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Pumpkin Pancakes...Not Just For Breakfast.

I guess I bought a really big can of pureed pumpkin. Even after all those Iced Pumpkin Cookies I still had lots to spare. Needless to say I decided to make some pumpkin pancakes with some of the leftovers. But, being me, I naturally decided to make them for dinner on one cold fall evening last week. They were definitely just what the doctor ordered.


I know what you're thinking now: why are your pancakes triangles? Well, the funny thing about my pancake cooking technique is that I don't particularly like to cook pancakes in a frying pan. The oil/butter is always too hot or too cold or my sad excuse for a stove isn't working right. Plus I hate standing around waiting for them to bubble. So I stand by my tried and true method of cooking them in my handy dandy sandwich maker.

Yes you heard me correctly, I cook my pancakes in my sandwich maker. And they are wonderful! I can pour the batter in, close the lid and walk away knowing they won't end up burnt. The dual heat from both sides at once allows them to rise much thicker then they would in a pan, becoming fluffy morsels of goodness. And the convenient triangular shape is perfect for on the go snacking.


And really? How sad would it be if I only used my sandwich maker for grilled cheese when in fact many things can be made in it? My parents model even came with a recipe for Twinkies!!!! Which for some odd reason I have yet to attempt to make....though I'm sure my curiosity will win out sometime soon. But, in the meantime, pancakes are the name of the game.

Pumpkin Pancakes
Adapted from many assorted pancake recipes the I have accumulated

  • 1 Cup Canned Pumpkin Puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1/2 Cup All-Purpose Flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 - 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice ( or a mixture of cinnamon, ginger & nutmeg)
  • 2 TBSP Brown Sugar
  • 1 Cup Milk
  • 2 Eggs
  • 2 TBSP vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices. Combine remaining ingredients in a separate bowl.

Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry and mix until just combined.

Cook using your standard pancake making method....or if you have a sandwich maker pour some batter in and give it a try.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment