Thursday, December 10, 2009

December Cookie Extravaganza Part 1 - The Shortbread Cookie.

I am decidedly not much of a Christmas person. I don't jump up and down with glee at the thought of snow, I view most decorations as tacky eyesores, I am in no way, shape or form associated with any type of religion and the sound of Christmas carols are like nails on a chalkboard to me. Furthermore, even though I am a good little consumer who goes out with the masses to buy gifts, I don't actually like the concept. I have, however, learned that people don't react well when you attempt to skip Christmas, so I go along for the ride.

I'd like to also state here that I am not one of those "Grinch-y" people who walk around in a cloud of hum-buggery ruining the experience for those who enjoy it. I do get excited about some aspects of the Holiday's and choose to focus on those instead. For example, I do adorn my apartment with a few tasteful decorations. My motto here is simple but classy - black and silver with a couple pops of ruby red for good measure. I have a black tree and a matching black garland that I hang a couple small things on for colour. I also have a small silver snowflake wreath that I hang on my door. And that's it. No singing doormats, no dancing Santa's or glowing reindeer. A girl's gotta draw the line somewhere.

More of my likes include, hanging out with my family and friends, cracking open a few bottles of wine and sharing conversation over a crowded dinner table covered with food. Yes, I can easily get into anything that involves the cooking and consuming of food. Which of course brings me to my favourite part of the Holiday Season...Christmas cookies. If there is anything during this time of year to jump up and down about it is tins and tins of delicious cookies. I love making them, I love eating them and I love gifting them to others. And in honour of this, over the next couple weeks I am going to be posting this years fare. So sit back with your disgusting Eggnog drink and a hunk of hard fruitcake and enjoy!

I figure the best place to start when talking Christmas cookies is the traditional shortbread. Easy to make, easy to eat and just about everyone loves them. Ironically the last thing I made will be the first I post.

My Mum and I decided to bake our cookies together to quicken the process and allow me to bake in a real kitchen with a proper sized well working stove. We managed to blast through just about all the things we needed to bake in one day. Unfortunately we saved the shortbread until the end, and even though we had the heat turned down really low, the oven was still too hot and just about liquified our cookies in the oven. Because of this my Mother has boycotted shortbread this year. Sad, but true. So I've taken up the mantle and made them on my own, it's not really Christmas without them.

Shortbread Cookies
  • 1 Cup Butter; softened
  • 2 Cups Pastry Flour
  • 3 TBSP Fruit Sugar
  • 3 TBSP Rice Flour
Beat butter with a spoon until creamy. Stir in flour until well mixed. Blend in rice flour and sugar.

Roll out flat and cut into shapes or form into balls and press down with a fork.

Sprinkle with red & green coloured sugar.

Bake at 275 degrees until faintly brown (approx. 10-15 mins depending on your oven)


One cookie down...nine more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment