Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Another Non-Savory Delight


Sorry Liz! I know you are waiting for me to post a non-dessert item on here, and it will happen, don't you worry. But I cannot sit by and not post about these cookies. Especially not when they are so soft and fudge-y and delicious (as you, Ms. Murray, can no doubt attest to).

Okay, I am fully aware that I am a Chocoholic. Anyone who knows me even a little bit is probably aware of this fact as well. As a result of this, I lean towards chocolate recipes, or chocolate versions of recipes more times then not. I am sure you will all realize this as time passes and more and more chocolate recipes pop up in this blog. I would apologize for this, but really is there a need to be apologetic towards chocolate? Good, I knew you'd see it my way. Now on to the main event. Genna vs The Fudge Drop Cookie (except in this match EVERYONE is a winner).

These cookies remind me of two-bite brownies (except waaaaay better then those little store bought, quick to turn into little hockey puck brownies). A King Arthur Flour recipe that was just begging for my attention. Not a lot of fuss, or muss, but LOTS of chocolate for me to lick off the spoons. In short, perfection.

I actually made these cookies on Saturday when my Mum was over for brunch. I like to use her as my guinea pig for new recipes, and she whole-heartedly takes up the task with an empty stomach and enthusiastic sweet tooth (sometimes a little too enthusiastic). In fact, after tasting these cookies, she declared them unfit for sharing and tried to confiscate them for herself. After a brief discussion, in which I explained how these cookies were an integral part of my sweetly evil plan to further woo a certain guy that was coming over the next day(and a promise to pack her a generous doggy bag of them), she relented her claim on the whole batch. But it was a close thing.

Fudge Drop Cookies
adapted from King Arthur Flour Recipe


  • 8 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
  • 3 tbsp butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tsp espresso powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
In a double boiler, gently melt the chocolate and butter. Be careful not to over heat it.

In a separate bowl, beat the sugar and eggs until combined. Add the hot melted chocolate, then the rest of the ingredients. Mix well. Refrigerate dough for 1 hour to make it easier to handle.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Drop the cookie dough by the tablespoonful onto greased or lined baking sheets about 2 inches apart.

Bake for 11-12 minutes until the tops are shiny and cracked. They crack near the very end so watch them carefully to make sure you don't over cook them or the will turn out hard instead of soft and chewy.

Remove cookies from oven, allow to cool on tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment