Saturday, April 4, 2009

A Brunch of Blueberries.


Oh Saturday how I love thee let me count the ways.  One helping of clafoutis, two helpings of clafoutis...oh yeah and don't forget the blueberries.





Earlier in the week I noticed that my Saturday was blissfully devoid of any plans and that I hadn't cooked very much (*cough* or at all) the entire week. I'm sure my empty fridge didn't help too much but we're not gonna talk about that.  I decided to remedy this by inviting my Mother over for some gossiping and brunch. 

I have never tried nor made a clafoutis before today.  I happened upon it while looking for an appropriate brunch idea that wasn't too sinful, my mother and I have a delightfully bad habit of eating copious amounts of desserts when together.  After reading a few descriptions and multiple recipes on it I felt it was the perfect choice.  Clafoutis is a French dish usually made with cherries, but really you can use any fruit you'd like in it.  It is described as a mix between a custard and a pancake (though I would lean more towards custard, a delicious delicious custard ..mmm).  Well I can never do anything traditionally, it's just not in my makeup, so I decided a blueberry clafoutis would be for me.  I adore blueberries. Their taste, texture and beautiful colour appeals to me on every level.  But this story isn't just about blueberries....it's about clafoutis too.

I couldn't believe how simple clafoutis is, a few ingredients make up the batter, scatter some fruit into a baking dish or some ramekins pour the batter over bake and enjoy.  I can really get behind a dish like that (and by get behind I mean consume mass quantities of).  So I mixed, and scattered and baked. Then when impatience overcame both me and my mother, we dug in to the still too hot clafoutis, the blueberries bursting in our mouths and turning our tongues blue. 

Oh heavenly clafoutis, where have you been all my life?



Blueberry Clafoutis
put together from a large assortment of recipes.
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
  • 2 tbsp butter, melted
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 6 tbsp flour
  • 2 tbsp cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • zest & juice of 1 lemon
In a large bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients together.  In a separate bowl mix wet ingredients. Pour wet ingredients into dry, mix well.  Place blueberries into the bottom of a cassarole dish, pour batter over them.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 30 minutes.  Let cool to room temperature (if you can wait that long).  I sprinkled sugar over top of mine once it got out of the oven, but thought afterwards that a mixture of brown sugar and oats or flour crumbled over it while it baked would've made a wonderful crust on top.  Definitely a thought for next time, and there will be a next time.


1 comment: