Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mother/Daughter Sangria Shenanigans



Oh Mother's Day...an excuse for me to make tons of fattening foods and for me and my Mom to drink copious amounts of wine.  And this year I decided to go all out.  We kicked it off at about 12:30 drinking homemade Sangria consisting of: Red Wine, Soda water, brandy, lemon and orange slices and a splash of Orange Juice. My dad kicked it off with a strong roll of his eyes as "his girls" started getting sloshed..again.

I don't usually buy gifts for my Mom for Mother's Day...all she ever really wants is a good meal and a decadent dessert (which I am more then happy to provide her with) and everything I pick gets run by her first for approval.  To be honest, I made so much stuff on Sunday, I feel that I can't properly give enough time in one post to properly honor them all.  So I will leave you with a list, pictures and a promise to post recipes and further descriptions sometime in the future.

The Line Up:

A delightfully light Caesar Salad with fresh bacon bits, homemade whole grain croutons and homemade dressing.


Whole Grain Spaghetti cooked in red wine, then tossed in an olive oil, butter, fried garlic and (more) red wine sauce.  Served with bacon wrapped chicken and fresh parmesan cheese.

An oh-so-delicious Chocolate Tiramisu.

In addition to this meal I wanted to surprise her with something else this year.  About a week before I found a recipe for Baklava Muffins and my Mom happens to LOVE Baklava.  So naturally it was fate that the recipe fell into my lap just in time.  They were gratefully received and hungrily devoured.  

I would tweak a couple of things for the next time I make them however; reducing the batter in the bottom, adding more filling and more honey.  But they were still delicious non-the-less. 

All in all I'd say another successful Mother's Day all around. 


Love you Maman!

No comments:

Post a Comment