Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Pizza From The Pantry.

I'm sure by now most of you have realized that I have a tendency to not grocery shop as consistently as I would like and in order to not waste food I try to just buy a few odds and ends to last a couple days. In theory this is a good strategy, in practice it often leaves me with an empty fridge and lacking the desire to go shopping. It would seem that I do have an okay store of basics that occasionally allow me to improvise on lazy evenings.

It was on one such evening, as I perused through my pantry that I looked at a package of active dry yeast and thought to myself...it's gonna be a pizza night! Well actually I really thought "What Would MacGyver Do?". But it all comes out with the same result in the end. At least in my mind.


With my bare fridge in sight, I knew this was going to be a simple endeavor. I tossed the yeast into the bowl of my stand mixer along with water, salt, olive oil and flour and put my (not nearly used enough) dough hook to work. Once the dough had risen (the recipe I use takes an hour) I realized that I didn't really feel like properly rolling it out, so I pressed it onto a baking tray into a squar-ish shape (not the prettiest of specimen, but I like to think of it as a rustic approach rather then me being lazy).

With the dough sitting there ready to be adorned I pulled out my trusty olive oil and Italian seasoning herb blend. I'd like to state that I do enjoy a good marinara sauce on my pizza as much as the next gal, but I adore olive oil based pizza's to the enth degree. There is something about the fragrance and taste of the oil mixed with the dough that just does it for me. Plus it really lets the rest of the ingredients shine through. I mixed the oil and herbs and brush them generously onto my dough, and followed them up with thinly sliced red onion, a few scattered cherry tomatoes (halved) and a light dusting of shredded colby cheese. I admit it wouldn't have been my first cheese option but one works with what ones got.


The pizza turned out simple but delicious. The odd bite with a cherry tomato on it bursting with juice. I will admit here that I do (only slightly) regret not properly rolling out the dough. It ended up rising quite high making the pizza a little more doughy than I would have liked. But a lesson learned for next time. But regardless nothing beats a homemade pizza.

Herbed Olive Oil Pizza

Start with a recipe for pizza dough. If you have one that you prefer use that, or you can even pick up pre-made pizza dough at the local grocery store. Here is the one I've had kicking around for a while, though I don't remember where I initially got it from.

For Dough
  • 1 package active dry yeast
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 3/4 cups flour (I like to use whole wheat when I have it)
  • 1 TBSP olive oil
  • 1 tsp salt
Toppings
  • A few TBSP of olive oil
  • Italian Blend Herb Mix to taste
  • Quarter of a red onion thinly sliced
  • Handful of cherry tomatoes halved
  • Shredded cheese of your choice
Empty package of yeast into the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the dough hook (or a normal bowl if you don't have one). Pour the warm water in, and stir until yeast is dissolved.

Add the rest of the ingredients and turn on the stand mixer. Once the dough starts to come together continue mixing until a smooth elastic ball forms. (If mixing without a stand mixer, once the dough starts to come together you will have to knead it on a floured surface.)

Put the dough into a greased bowl, cover and let rise for an hour.

Once dough has risen roll out to desired thickness and place onto a pizza tray (don't skip this part like I did unless you want a really thick pizza crust).

Combine the Italian Seasoning with Olive Oil and brush onto dough (I added an extra sprinkling of rosemary as well which is my all time favourite herb).

Place on onion and tomato then sprinkle with chosen cheese.

Bake in 350 degree oven until crust is crispy but not burnt.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment